Our Space provides support services for LGBTQ youth in Alameda County.
Our Space serves LGBTQ youth ages 12 - 22, many of whom live in poverty and are impacted by homelessness, the child welfare or juvenile justice systems. Approximately 80 percent of Our Space members are youth of color. We serve over 350 unduplicated youth each year.
At the heart of everything we do at Our Space (and hanging in glitter on our wall), we ask this question: "How do you show fierce love to yourself and your community?"
We ask this question because in a world where queer and trans youth are stigmatized and marginalized daily, we know it takes a lot of ferocity to stand up against that hate and choose to love ourselves AND our community unconditionally and for all that we are.
All Our Space services are infused with this concept of fierce love and include:
- LGBTQ community center programming on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 6:00 PM at our community center in Hayward (please check Facebook for updated information on scheduling)
- A monthly, LGBTQ intergenerational community potluck on the 4th Thursday of the month from 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Therapy for LGBTQ youth ages 14-21 with LGBTQ-identified therapists (youth must have Medi-Cal or be eligible for Medi-Cal)
- Annual East Bay Youth Pride celebration, organized by LGBTQ youth for LGBTQ youth
- Trainings for providers working with LGBTQ youth
- School-based workshops on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression
- Referrals and linkages to critical support services (i.e. housing, medical, legal, etc.)
- Curriculum for providers working with LGBTQ youth, written by Stephanie Perron, the former Program Director of Our Space
Additionally, the Youth Acceptance Collaborative (YAC) provides one-to-one support services for youth in foster care or at risk of entering foster care, their families, and their caregivers; YAC services are available for youth under 18, who are impacted by their sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or gender esxpression (SOGIE), to support them in placement stabilization and permanency. To refer a youth/family/caregiver to the YAC, please fill out the YAC referral form and fax it to: 510-727-9405 attn: Michelle Gonzalez.